Thursday, May 20, 2010

Being accountable makes you less of an asshole.

Where to start... You know how every Sunday night as you prepare for the week ahead you look at your closet, you look at your kitchen and you avoid looking at the scale? Thoughts pass through your mind that sound a little something like "Tomorrow, I'm eating nothing but rice cakes and celery", "I'm gonna get up early and walk for 2 hours before I go to work", or "Cocaine sounds like a good idea, I hear it's amazing for weight loss.". Yeah. So that's a bunch of bullshit.

You've heard this before, but before you know what needs to change, you need to know what you are doing to yourself to begin with. Sucks, doesn't it. I never said this was going to be easy, bitch. First thing you need to do is write everything down. I mean FUCKING EVERYTHING. I don't care if it's in a journal, in a word file, or an email to your 'chubby buddy'. Writing shit down will force you to look at what the fuck you are doing to your body.

Don't make changes in the first week. You need to see what the hell you've been doing on a "normal" week and maybe you'll see what your problem is. "Hmmm...So Monday, I had four pop-tarts and a large Frappacino for breakfast, a burger and large fry for lunch, and pizza with a ranch dressing covered salad for dinner. Then you know, cause I was being so good, I had cake and ice cream for desert and through out the day I had a couple granola bars as a snack, since they are healthy and all." "As for my activity....well....I walked to and from the car a couple times...so...." WTF! A week of this kind of consumption is going to guarantee that you gain weight every fucking week for the rest of your life. Think you are a fat ass now? Wait till next year, Bessie, you'll have a whole new wardrobe because you can't suck your gut into those elastic pants anymore.

At the end of this week you can check your caloric intake for the week (there are hundreds of websites that do that kind of shit). You are going to be shocked. The average person requires between 1700-2300 calories a day depending on height, weight, and activity level. I'm guessing you had no idea you were consuming upwards of three times that every day.

Then comes the hard part. You have to make an effort. I know you don't want to hear that, nobody does. The second week use your crazy journaling/pdf/emailing skills to be accountable for what you consume. Think of it this way. Do you really want to have to write down that you put that shit in your mouth. It's not like you can plead ignorance anymore. You know what you are doing now you have to figure out why you are doing it and what purpose it serves in your life. I did this everyday for the first 3 months once I decided I needed to fix my health. It became a game that went something like this in my head: "I would be ashamed to write down that I ate a King Size Snicker's bar, so instead, I'm going to eat this apple and write it down with pride."

After doing this for a few months, I figured out I had taught myself how to eat all over again. It became habit and while the physical act of writing it down everyday was no longer necessary, I continued to think about every piece of food that I was putting into my body.

It's something to think about. This weekend, find a buddy, or a spiral notebook, or create a new folder for your desktop. Can't find a buddy? I'll be one for you. I'm a work in progress and I'd fucking love for you to do this with me. But you have to commit. There is no more of this "I can't do it" bullshit. That's what assholes say.