Saturday, May 29, 2010

Vacation is a bitch.

As I write this, I'm preparing to go on a mini-vacation for a few days in Florida. In the past vacations have equated to an "anything goes" attitude. Drink whatever, smoke whatever, and EAT whatever. I'm learning now how important it is to prepare mentally for removing oneself from an established exercise and food routine.

First it's important to think in terms of movement. When the fuck am I going to get my sweat on while away. Did you know that most hotels offer gym memberships? If you don't want to pay extra for something like that you can request a room on a higher floor and use the stairs each time you go to your room. Really, you should be using the fucking stairs whenever you encounter them anyway. Figure out where your destinations are in relation to where you are staying and if its feasible, fucking walk there.

Secondly, consider your eating habits when on vacation. I used to say to myself "I'm on vacation, I'm supposed to eat whatever I want!" What the fuck was I thinking? Where does that logic even come from? It's a good idea to research what fruits and veggies are local and in season for where ever you are traveling to and then seek those out. Food is always a treat on vacation, so why not enjoy something fresh, local, and prepared by those who really know what to do with it? Going somewhere known for fish? Eat the fish!
Drinking can be a problem when enjoying your new surroundings. Avoid any tacky umbrella drinks. The liquor may be low calorie but the sugary shit it's mixed with isn't. Try to find a local wine. Most areas will have a winery that specializes in whatever fruits are available. If a traditional grape wine isn't available, seek a blackberry or strawberry wine. The buzz is good, it's got that all important local quality, and you aren't going to have to worry about all the calories.

Lastly, I cannot stress the importance of drinking water. Water will occupy your mouth, helping you to avoid casual snacking and it's fucking good for you. You'll stay hydrated and help keep off that horrible vacation gut.

I hope this helps with any trips you have coming up. Summer vacations can be good for you, as long as you don't vacation like an asshole.