Saturday, June 5, 2010

Achilles heel

I love peanut butter. I LOVE peanut butter. I love crunchy peanut butter, I love creamy peanut butter. I love peanut butter cookies and ice cream. I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I love spoonfuls of peanut butter.

With that said, I no longer keep peanut butter in my kitchen because it is my fucking Achilles heel. It is impossible to keep a jar of peanut butter in my house for occasional, casual snacking. If it is in my pantry I will continue to eat it. I have not purchased a jar in almost a year and while I miss it and think of it often, it's the best thing I could have done for myself.

What is it that you keep in your kitchen to sabotage yourself? This is why cleaning out your pantry and starting with a fresh, guilt-free kitchen is absolutely necessary. Your kitchen should be your sanctuary. It should be the place in your house that provides nourishment to your body, not where you feel guilt for binging on potato chips or Little Debbies. You should be able to fucking walk into your kitchen, pull anything out of the cupboard or refrigerator and not worry about it.

It takes a while to get used to the idea that having your favorite item not readily available is a good thing. Suck it up and fucking deal with it. Maybe if you weren't shoving the cookies down your fucking pie-hole you wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. Once you've gotten used to snacking on apples or oranges you will start to crave them instead. I consider my greatest achievement to be the month when my PMS cravings sent me into a Granny Smith apple frenzy instead of a tub of peanut butter.

Figure out what you need to get rid of and do it now. It's fucking liberating.