Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Me time"

When I'm getting sweaty, that is my own time. I don't have to talk to anyone else, I don't have to please else, and I sure as hell don't have to worry about anyone else. It's fan-fucking-tastic. My way of closing off the rest of the world involves my iPod. Once those earbuds are in you can bet I don't give a shit what anyone else is doing.

An iPod is a wonderful thing. You have no idea what I'm listening to in order to keep pace or pass the time. I have a diverse musical repertoire that I like to keep in rotation, some of which could be surprising to my peers at the gym. Some of my favorite songs to work out to include: The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson, Superman by Eminem, Grace Kelly by MIKA, Map of the Problematique by Muse, Auf Achse by Franz Ferdinand, SexyBack by Justin Timberlake, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, Blue Monday by Candy Ass , and....wait for it....Botch-a-Me by Rosemary Clooney. It's an eclectic mix for sure. I try to keep at least 3 hours worth of music in a playlist filled with songs that have a substantial rhythm. I hit the "shuffle" button on my playlist and lord only knows what song will be playing next. Sometimes it makes me giggle (especially when Rosemary Clooney or Judy Garland is followed by Kanye West) and that keeps me interested in what I'm doing.

Don't like to listen to music? That's what they've invented podcasts for! I do find that sometimes, especially if I'm doing a walk around the neighborhood instead of doing the gym thing, a nice hour long podcast helps pass the time quite nicely. There are some really great podcasts out there, too. I subscribe to The Nerdist, Savage Love, This American Life, WNYC's Radiolab, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Fresh Air with Terry Gross, Car Talk and Adam Corolla. My favorites are This American Life, Radiolab and The Nerdist because those are the ones that I'm more likely to either learn something from, be inspired by, or have one of those moments when I'm so consumed by what I'm listening to that I will intentionally walk longer and harder just so that I can hear more.

It's important not to become bored because that is one sure-as-shit way to stop doing what you need to be doing. Find something that inspires you to stay outside or on the treadmill. Then fucking listen to it.