Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Motivation: An Asshole's Frenemy.

It might be the hardest part of working out and dieting. Staying motivated can be a difficult bitch of a problem. One way I've found to be useful is to set short and long term goals that are realistic.

Short term goals can be anything you might be able to attain or measure in the coming weeks. For example; I would like to lose another 2-3 inches from my waist before the end of August. With that in mind I've set up weekly goals with regards to my workout schedule and food intake. In the next two months I plan on working out at least 8-10 hours a week. 5-6 hours of that will be cardio and the rest will be broken down between weight lifting and working my core muscles. I've arranged my weekly schedules to allow for 45 minutes to 2 hours of exercise a day.

I know I've mentioned in the past how important it is to do the work and refrain from finding excuses to avoid moving, but I cannot stress that importance enough. For me, I find the earlier I wake up the more likely I am to get my workout over and done with for the day. I personally find that if I wake up at 5am I can have my workout done with enough time to get school or work done and my metabolism is in overdrive for the rest of the day. I should also mention that I'm in a situation that lends itself to waking early and going to bed early because I have no social life. If you are so lucky as to have a social life, perhaps swinging by the gym after work or school might be easier for you.

As for my longterm goals, I have several different time-frames I'm working towards. I am 25 lbs away from being "normal" for my height. I would like to have that accomplished by Christmas of this year. I'm going back to my hometown and my motivation is the shocked look on the faces of my loved ones once they see me for the first time in almost two years.

By next summer (summer of 2011) I would like to be toned enough to wear a bikini. I have never worn one in my adult life and they fascinate me. I cannot wait to go to the beach wearing a cute bikini and not be concerned about bulges and lumps. Once I've reached the point where that is possible I will be able to enter a "maintenance" routine.

I want to be able to wear one of those cute strapless halter summer dresses. Or being able to wear a sleeveless shirt at all and not have that jiggly part of my upper arm flapping when I make a gesture. That keeps me motivated because I can visualize that happening in the relatively near future.

I want to walk into a room of people and not look around to see if I'm the fattest person in the room. I've done that almost all of my life and it sucks. I wonder if others do that. Is that just my problem?

This is not a sprint, it is a lifelong fucking marathon. I cannot allow myself to ever become the fat-ass funny girl at parties. I want to be the fine-ass funny girl instead. Setting goals and being motivated to achieve them can be painful, but it is required. Pain is temporary, giving up is forever.

I'd like to know what motivates you. What are your goals?