Friday, May 21, 2010

You knew it was coming.

Exercise is absofuckinglutely required. No sugar coating that one. You must move. It can't be theoretical or something you'll start once you've got the food thing down. It has to be a two for one deal.

The U.S. government recommends at least 30 minutes of exercise 3-5 times a week. The World Health Organization recommends 90 minutes of exercise 3-5 times a week. Who are you going to listen to? The fat ass Americans or the skinny rest of the world? You need to figure out how you are going to incorporate that into your daily routine.

You don't have to be a marathon runner, you don't have to start a basketball team, but you MUST get your ass off the couch and move around. Walking is free. Cleaning your house burns 200 calories an hour. Dancing to your favorite album is excellent cardio. This is not optional.

Now here is the part where you become crazy jealous of the fact that I live in San Diego, because I don't have to join a gym (though, now, I do use the one at my school regularly). For the first 6 months of my "lifestyle change" I walked. I walked everywhere. "Where's Becky?" "She's on a fucking walk!" I put on my iPod and I walked for an hour a day, or the equivalent to one podcast or music album. I walked when I didn't feel like it until I did feel like it. I walked until I was covered in sweat. I walked to see how long I could push myself. In order to lose 1 pound a week you have to burn 3500 more calories than you have consumed in said week.

Don't like to walk? Then find something else to do. But you have to do something or you are just a big fat asshole who is starving him/herself and you are doing nothing to improve your overall health. You know what you can do when you walk? Eat foods you like. See how this works?

There are days when I still don't feel like getting out of bed and putting on my running shoes, but I do it. I go outside and I take a fucking walk. Until they've perfected the magical skinny potion, I suspect I'll be doing this for the rest of my fucking life.

I realize the rest of the world does not have the climate or weather patterns we are blessed with here in San Diego, but that's why they've invented umbrellas, rain slickers, fleece jackets, etc. Weather is always going to try to impede your progress. Rainy days or cold days will always entice you into staying inside and sleeping in with the mindset that "I'll get back into my routine tomorrow." Who are you, fucking Scarlett O'Hara? What if it fucking rains tomorrow, too? You gonna take the whole week/month/year off? Then you ARE an asshole.

Nike was right, just do it. Just get off your rear end and walk somewhere. Start with whats comfortable for now and try to extend your timeframe by a little each week. Once you are up to 60-90 minutes a day, stay there and keep doing it.

It will be hard, but it must be done. You will be amazed how much better you feel in just a couple weeks. And then, it won't be so hard and you can be really fucking proud of yourself.